Thursday, September 5, 2013

THE ERRENT BRAKE CLIP IS FOUND!

Get this. I had the goldwing in the garage to work on it, I wanted to get the goldwing out and the 2000 Sabre in to work on it. I have a ride to Skyline Drive this weekend with some friends and want to ride the Sabre. I mentioned the little brake clip went sproing. I've fashioned 5 iterations of clips from girls hair barrettes to re-forminng binder clips. The second binder clip held great promise. I used a digital micrometer to take measurements instead of eye balling like I did with the other models I made. I took the final product outside to try and heat it and get the spring back in the metal (I can't find anything on line that actually tells about this process). I quenched it (wrong process) and tested it by hand; it broke clean away, laying open the top of my thumb in the process. I decided that I'd just put the rear wheel and brake back together and work on the brakes later. This would let me get the Sabre in. I put everything back together, surprisingly, I had no extra parts. As I cleaned up, I looked down, right in front of the polishing wheel, and there it was! The little clip I'd lost was just sitting there. I swear we have poltergeist, I used to blame the cats, but they don't come in the garage.

 
An online friend emailed me to suggest I crack the drain plugs on the brake calipers to relieve the pressure on the system.
 
Yup, I did that. But I think the front brakes are suffering from the same as the rear brake, RUST. I found that the rear wheel moved freely after the brake was removed. When I finally got the caliper off, I found that one of the "plates" was frozen from rust inside the caliper. Since I haven't put the brake back together I don't know if the problem is solved. I intend to replace all the pads, but, right now the bike isn't going on the road and I want to put money elsewhere if there is a greater need.
The front brakes seemed to respond when I did the flush and fill. However, the bike was sitting where it is. I used the brake lever to assist in moving the old sludgy fluid through. I also used it for the new (was that a stupid move? I'm not sure I'm new to this.). When doing the rear brake I did read a forum post that said the return hose/port could be clogged, thus holding the brake closed? Could be. Maybe. I tried to work alot of fluid through the system. Rust I think is the problem. Afterall, the hydraulic pressure being exerted on the brake plates/pads must be very strong. From what I see the "return" or release is a passive force? if the plate or interior of the caliper was rusted around, or in front of the location of the plates/pads, the pistons would push them into a restricted, rusty location?
If I consider the source and circumstances of the bike, I think it may be a good bet. From what I understand the bike was sitting for 8 years before the PO passed away. I was told he often came to the garage (off site) and started all three of his bikes. The bike is in exceptional shape paint and cosmetically. I think he may have also washed and waxed it. However, due to age or infirmity I don't think he could do maintenance. I told my wife there are parts on the bike, the rear brake, that look like someone sat there and watered them weekly causing the rust but other parts are perfect.
I very much did the "gator" looking for that damn clip. I pulled furniture out, looked in boxes, searched two trash bags. I did leave stones unturned, as my garage is full, packed to the gills with stuff. I just don't know how it could have shown up where it was. I have three computers set up on my desk in the garage. The cables are ridiculous, they are everywhere, along with TV cables and network cables. I had moved and searched in and around the cables, but that's where I found it, amongst the cables in front of the grinder.



No comments:

Post a Comment