Saturday, August 24, 2013

Clean Final Drive, Rear Brake Work

To put it fairly short and sweet, I thought the rear brake was working, it half way was, but I didn't find that until later. Because I was getting braking action, I decided the rear drive was probably gunked up. I removed the final drive, the rear brake has to come off also.

After removing the rear wheel the drive splines didn't seem to be stuck. I mounted the wheel on the axle without the brake. The wheel seemed to turn just fine. I decided that I never got a full flush out of the brake.

I found that only one side of the brake was working. It took me a while to get the brake apart and remove the pads. I then decided to polish on the wheel the one piece that was critical to the brake, a flat spring clip. The clip went sproing, during the polishing, I can't find it. My only alternative is to make one out of a coat hanger or buy an old caliper on ebay for $25. I'll try the coat hanger for now.

After I cleaned up the pads, they weren't as bad as I first thought. For now I'm going to put everything back together and see how the wheel turns.

I'm using Honda Moly 60 for the final drive grease. I need to get a grease gun and pump some into the Zerk fitting that goes in between the final drive and shaft.

No comments:

Post a Comment