Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wheel, hub, splines, greased.... But, Brake troubles

I bought some moly60 from Pete's Kawasaki on Rout 2. It is generally agreed that this is the best stuff, I was somewhat surprised that they had it at the Kaw dealer, but Pete's sells Hondas in Baltimore and Bel Air. They also had the Honda OEM oil filter I needed for my Sabre.

Never having had experience with grease, I opened the 3 ounce tube and reached in with a little popcicle stick I got from an arts and crafts store. They are much cheaper than buying a 3 pack at the boat store, branded for epoxy. I just started coating the spline and hub surfaces. I might be heavy on the coating, but I figure it will just squish out.

I hit Harbor Freight for a grease gun. I got one that takes 3 ounce tubes since the Moly is a three ounce tube. I read the directions 4 times. I didn't get a flow. I took it apart and the back of the tube was a bit torn up. The directions on the tube said it could be directly into the gun, it didn't. I'd pried the rear cap off and left the little foil covering on. It seemed that the foil was tougher than I expected I used pliers to pull bits of the foil out. I put everything back together again, nothing. they had directions for clearing air out; I pulled it apart, this time there was grease up to the top of the tube and in the cap. I tried pumping a few times and finally got a, for the lack of a better term, "fart". The next pump brought a juicy fart, that had brown grease, which the Moly isn't. The next pump brought brown grease and Moly. The next pump brought just Moly. The directions didn't say anything about the nozzle being pre loaded with grease, which I think had hardened on it's way from China. I then put about 6 pumps into the Zirk fitting on the joint between the shaft and final drive.

I doesn't show well, this is the Zirk fitting


The rear brake fitting cleaned up a bit


 The hub greased, note the grease on the splines


 The greased final drive splines


This is the rear brake, note the rust on top


The Rear Brake

I thought that the stiffness in the rear wheel was the final drive, it wasn't, or that wasn't a great part of it. The biggest problem is that the rear brake was frozen on one side.

I removed the caliper, actually the caliper came off with the rear wheel. I had trouble getting the caliper off the disk. Finally after opening the pistons I go them separated. The actual amount of pad on the brakes looks good. However, when I took off the inspection plate and got the brakes out they looked trashed. The looked they sat for 8 years, they did; but it also looked like they got soaked with water on a regular basis. They were rusty and the one pad was rusted to the caliper. I took the brakes out and polished the frames them with some emory paper. I don't intend to use these brakes, I just want the bike to operate. To test the brake calipers and the system, I need pads in there to test everything.

The real problem came when I was polishing the little clip that retains the two posts that the brakes travel on as they're used. The spring clip went sproing! I heard it hit the first time but didn't hear it hit the second or final time. This has happened often with nuts bolts and screws. They simply go to the floor, this didn't. Or, if it did it went to a silent place on the floor.

The retaining clip can be seen in this diagram as #8

T
 
 The retaining clip clips over the two rods #10

I first tried making a clip out of coat hanger, nope. Next I cut one out of an Altoids box, nope to flimsy. After that I went to the store and bought $5 worth of binder clips. I took one outside and heated up with a torch. I bent it flat, and before putting the shaping work into it I tried to bring the spring back, nope. I looked up videos. There is annealing, tempering, oil quenching, water quenching. Nothing I did brought it back to the spring it originally was. The problem I may have is that with the torch I can't get a constant heat to all parts of the metal. It feels like I may have brought some parts of the metal back but overall it was a failure. I could try to cut the piece and use a fire to heat it, but I don't want to start a fire in the fireplace while the temperature is 90 degrees outside.

Lastly, I've fallen back on another stand by for spring material, BARRETTES, the little spring clips that girls use in their hair! I had to make a second stop at WallyWorld to get some wider styles. One of these will have to be shaved down to fit in the notch on the retaining shaft. I had a pack of thinner ones that I tried to use on another project.

I did a video here:



No comments:

Post a Comment