Monday, August 19, 2013

Points Adjustment

I was contemplating the adjustment of the points. I do alot of contemplating, if you contemplate rather than actually doing something you don't break anything, you also don't get much done. 

First I read the book, that's the Hayene's manual it seems relatively straight forward. Next I looked for points adjustment on youtube. There were a few videos on points but none on the Goldwing. After consulting all the easily available sources, I decided to call in an expert. I called my father.

Dad worked in his dad's garage in high school and college. I never saw him work on a car, other than when I tried to tune up my car and screwed it up. But, he loved to work on his boats.

I once tried to start my single screw sailboat, it had an Atomic (sometimes said Anemic) 4 gas engine. It backfired and water sucked up through the carburetor, even I knew that was bad. He came down and started tearing the engine apart and dumping the parts into a bucket of cleaner. When I take things abpart I take photographs and video. I put everything into the blogs just so I remember how I did everything.

Dad's coming down to Annapolis to take a look at the points and hopefully clean them up and adjust them. If that helps to clean up the running of the bike, the only thing left is to take a look at the carburetors. Actually, dad remembered a trick they used to do "back in the olden days". He said by swiching the spark plug wires it causes the bike to backfire, this backfire shoots the gases back though the carburetor and might possibly clear it!

Here are some pictures of the points:




No comments:

Post a Comment